Stanbrook Abbey. Press
- Existence: 1876
The Press was founded in 1876 by Fr. Laurence Shepherd at Stanbrook Abbey, a house for Benedictine nuns. It supplied the printing needs of the English Benedictine Congregation and was assisted by figures in the English Private Press Movement. In 1956 the press was revived under the direction of Dame Hildelith Cumming.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
The Philip J. and Mary Stack McNiff papers contain materials created and collected by Philip J. McNiff and his wife Mary Stack McNiff. Correspondence and related enclosures make up the bulk of the collection; there are also many printed materials. Correspondents are generally members of the Catholic, library, or literary communities, particularly those affiliated with Boston College, Harvard University, and other Boston-area organizations. Materials date from circa 1880-1991.
The collection is open for research.
Collection is open for research. Some items, particularly in Series IX. and X., have been hand-illustrated and illuminated by Margaret and Henry Adams. Please do not directly touch the illustrations; this helps preserve their detail.