T. C. Murray's Illumination typescripts
- 1939-approximately 1947
Scope and Contents
Includes a typescript of Illumination: A Play in Two Acts with a note in Murray's hand regarding the first performance at the Abbey Theatre. The typescript is bound with two newspaper clippings of reviews of this performance from August 1939. There is also a letter from Murray to his friend Boston College Librarian Terence Connolly, SJ regarding changes he made to the play in preparation for publication in 1946. The additions to the play, originally enclosed in the letter, are bound with the typescript. Lastly, the collection includes four carbons of another draft of the text including the 1946 additions.
Restrictions on access
Collection is open for research.
Restrictions on use
These materials are made available for use in research, teaching and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source. The original authors may retain copyright to the materials.
T. C. Murray was an Irish playwright born in Marcroom, County Cork in 1873. He worked as a teacher and later headmaster of the Model Schools at Inchicore. Murray directed the Authors' Guild of Ireland, was President of the Irish Playwrights Association, and also served as vice president of the Irish Academy of Letters. His plays belonged to the realist school of drama and the bulk of his early works dealt with rural life in his West Cork. After 1930 his works shifted to depicting urban middle-class life.
Cave, Richard Allen. "Murray, T. C." The Companion to Theatre and Performance. Oxford University Press, 2010.
Hogan, J.J. "Thomas Cornelius Murray." Studies: An Irish Quarterly Review Vol. 38, No. 150 (Jun., 1949), pp. 194-196.
.25 Linear Feet (1 container )
Language of Materials
Because the current accessioning system was not used until January 1986, it is not possible to know exactly the dates of acquisition of materials received before that time. However, the letter in the collection indicates that at least some of the materials were a gift of T.C. Murray in 1946. The back of carbon three also bears a note in Connolly's hand: "Gift of Mr. Murray, Irish Collection."
- T. C. Murray's Illumination Typescripts
- 1939-approximately 1947
- Marc Only
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the John J. Burns Library Repository
John J. Burns Library
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill MA 02467 United States