Skip to main content

Olympia Theatre (Dublin, Ireland)

 Organization

Dates

  • Existence: 1879    

Historical note

Dublin's Olympia Theatre was built in 1855 on the site of a former saloon and music hall originally called Connell's Monster Saloon. Original owner Dan Lowrey opened the theater for the first time in December 1879 as Dan Lowrey's Star of Erin Music Hall. The theater was subsequently re-branded as “Dan Lowrey’s Music Hall” in 1881, and again re-branded as “Dan Lowrey’s Palace of Varieties” in 1889. It was renamed “The Empire Palace” in 1897 after undergoing a series of refurbishments. In 1923, the venue had yet another reinvention, this time emerging as the Olympia Theatre, presenting drama, opera, ballet, as well as films, oratorio, and pantomime.

Social Networks and Archival Context (SNAC) Identifier

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Boston College collection of Irish theater publications and ephemera

 Collection
Identifier: BC-2023-108
Abstract

Consists of programs and playbills from performing arts theaters in Ireland, predominantly Dublin, Galway, and Cork. The bulk of programs represent Cork Opera House, Druid Theatre/Mick Lally Theatre, Gaiety Theatre, Gate Theatre, and Olympia Theatre. The collection also contains ephemera such as articles, fliers, invitations, posters, and ticket stubs.

Access Note

Collection is open for research.

Dates: 1907 - 2022

Olympia Theatre, 1985 May-1999 May

 File — Box 2, Folder: 9
Scope and Contents

Robert Cuddy attended productions by the theatre company Macnas at the Olympia Theatre as well as other theaters represented in this collection, including the Somerville Theatre.

Access Note

Collection is open for research.

Dates: 1985 May-1999 May

Additional filters: