Boston College. Chemical Society
In October 1926, the Boston College Chemical Academy was founded by Dean of Chemistry Arthur J. Holman, SJ, and affiliated with the American Chemical Society as a student chapter. Its purpose was to stimulate student interest in chemistry through various extracurricular activities. The organization brought in prominent speakers knowledgeable in chemistry and chemical industries.
From 1930 until the 1936-1937 school year, the organization was known as the Chemistry Seminar. From 1938 through 1942, the organization was renamed the Chemist's Club. In spring of 1942, the group suspended its operations for the duration of World War II. After being inactive for five years, it was re-established and officially chartered as the Boston College Student Affiliate Chapter of the American Chemical Society.
In 1949, the name was officially changed to the Boston College Chemical Society in order to stress the Boston College nature of the group. Previously, it was simply referred to as "Affiliates" or "A.C.S." The organization continued to exist into the 1970s. In the 1980s, it reappeared as the "Chemistry Caucus."
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Boston College student activities collection
A collection of materials produced by and for Boston College student clubs, societies, and other activities, including correspondence, reports, meeting agendas, planning documents, awards, newsletters, photographs, publicity, and artifacts.
Collection is open for research. The audiocassettes and videocassettes are not available for playback due to format impermanence and have not been reformatted. Please let Burns Library Public Services know of your specific interest, if possible, reformatting will be scheduled.