Skip to main content

Boston College faculty and staff photographs

 Collection
Collection BC-2000-005: Boston College faculty and staff photographs

Dates

  • 1872 - 2012

Abstract

This collection consists of photographs of Boston College faculty members and staff. Faculty photographs contain images of both Jesuit and lay faculty members. Also included in this collection is a printed faculty photograph album from 1981, as well as the images and negatives used in its compilation.

Creator

Restrictions on access

Collection is open for research; a portion is available digitally.

Restrictions on use

These materials are made available for use in research, teaching and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright Law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source. The original authors may retain copyright to the materials.

Historical note

Boston College opened on Harrison Avenue in Boston’s South End neighborhood in 1863, welcoming its first students in September, 1864. The curriculum covered a traditional Classical education, including English, Latin and Greek, Arithmetic, Logic, Poetry, and Philosophy, and was designed to last seven years.

The college’s early teaching faculty was made up of Jesuit priests and scholastics, although some lay teachers taught on a part-time basis. After the move to Chestnut Hill, the Jesuit faculty of Boston College lived on the college campus in St Mary’s Hall, which opened in 1917. Lay teachers had been a common presence on the faculty since at least 1902 and included Herbert S. Carruth, who taught constitutional history, and Dr. James Field Spalding, who taught modern English literature. With the establishment and expansion of the graduate and professional schools in the 1930s, the College’s percentage of lay faculty increased considerably. This was the beginning of an upward trend that continued throughout the twentieth century: in 1920, there were 3 lay faculty out of a total of 31; by 1930 this had increased to 30 lay faculty out of 45; by 1990, there were only 32 Jesuit faculty members on a faculty of 570.

In the post-World War II period, enrollment at Boston College increased dramatically. This necessitated a concomitant expansion in faculty numbers; at the same time, many Boston College alumni were beginning their research and academic careers, having continued their studies at the graduate level elsewhere. A large number of these alumni returned to Boston College as faculty members, including John L. Mahoney to the English Department and Donald J. White to the Economics Department.

Throughout the twentieth century, Boston College’s curriculum maintained a strong emphasis on the Classical education that had dominated since the school’s inception, despite the popularity of strongly elective-based curricula at other universities. In the post-war years, though, this Classical tradition was enveloped within what is still known as the Core Curriculum. In the twenty-first century, Boston College faculty, now numbering over 700 full-time staff, continue to play a prominent role in their professions and to uphold the values of the Jesuit liberal arts tradition.

Sources

“Current Fellows,” John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, accessed May 23rd, 2013, http://www.gf.org/fellows/current/

Donovan, Charles F., S.J., Dunigan, David R., S.J., and FitzGerald, Paul A., S.J. History of Boston College: From the Beginnings to 1990. Chestnut Hill: The University Press of Boston College, 1990.

“Facts & Figures, 2012-2013,” Boston College Office of News and Public Affairs, accessed May 23, 2013, http://www.bc.edu/offices/pubaf/about/facts.html

Hayward, Ed. “Boston College Professor Udayan Mohanty Named Royal Society of Chemistry Fellow,” Boston College Office of News and Public Affairs, accessed May 23, 2013.

Extent

9.25 Linear Feet (24 containers)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in two series: I. Faculty; and II. Staff. Faculty is further subdivided in three subseries: A. Jesuit faculty; B. Lay faculty; C. Faculty photograph album. Within each series or subseries, photographs featuring individuals are arranged alphabetically. Group photographs are arranged alphabetically at the end of each series or subseries.

Provenance

Photographs of faculty were transferred by the Office of the President in multiple accessions. A small number of photographs of Jesuit faculty were donated by Paul Nelligan, SJ, and the Holy Cross Archives and Special Collections in 2000. The faculty photograph album was transferred by George Goldsmith of the Physics department in 1994.

Existence of digital copies

Portions of this collection are available digitally. Links are included in the inventory.

Related Materials

Boston College Special Guests and Events Photographs, MS.1986.032, John J. Burns Library, Boston College.

Processing Information

These photographs have not been examined to verify identification or dates. Materials are minimally processed.

Title
Boston College Faculty and Staff Photographs
Subtitle
1872-2012
Status
Completed
Author
Jessica Meyer
Date
June 2013
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the John J. Burns Library Repository

Contact:
John J. Burns Library
Boston College
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill MA 02467 United States
617-552-4861